Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Boiler Room



Originally, bar #2 was going to be the apple of my eye, the Bob Inn - however, since my bougie roommate Beth returned from Connecticut after the holidays, we had to celebrate! Beth, our other roommate Abby and I had agreed to meet at their favorite new local spot, The Boiler Room.

Located right under the California blue line stop (2210 N California), The Boiler Room opened it's doors to Logan Square last summer, after a long time going through the construction phase. I remember seeing it from the platform of the el and wondering what the hell was going on in that place.

Totally worth the wait. It was my first time there last night, and this place nestled it's way into that soft, boozy spot in my heart. The interior is pieced together with scraps and leftovers from old CTA railcars. As a commuter, I approve. The lighting is dim, but perfect for the casual, hip atmosphere.

Speaking of that "hip" atmosphere, let's deal with the elephant in the room: yes, this is definitely a hipster hot-spot. Tight jeans, tattoos, obnoxious glasses, it was all there. But the difference is that while I was sitting at my booth with my friends, nobody was looking over and scrutinizing us (and they could have, with Beth wearing a Baby Gap shark hat the whole night). It's very low-key and mellow, a place for the less-pretentious hipster. I can appreciate that. I speak enough "hipstanese" to get by and I didn't have to use any of it.

Our server, Megan, was very sweet. It was a slow night, so she would busy herself filling silverware and salt shakers, but made it very clear that if we needed anything, she was happy to help. Help she did, since I was on a mission to get myself pretty drunk.

This is easy to do here! For $3 you can have a Jameson shot. Or a PBR tallboy (I told you hipsters loved it). Or a slice of pizza (cheese, pepperoni, sausage and whatever specialty slice they decide to feature). If you really wanna go balls-out, you can get all three for $7.50. They call that shit a PB&J, isn't that precious?

My favorite part of this whole experience, though, is not the cheap-ass drinks or the pizza. It is the bathroom. The bathroom is made to be like an el car, with the recycled train doors for both the entrance and the stalls. When you walk in, THE FUCKING CTA MAN does his "this is a blue line train to O'Hare" bit and I practically peed myself right then and there. The very best feature? When I went to wash my hand and turned the knobs, hot water instantly came out. INSTANTLY. That almost never happens, even at new bars. It was the best experience I've ever had come out of a bowel movement.

It's a cash-only bar, which some people loathe. I love it myself, but if you were on the hater-side of things, just use the ATM and get over it. They'll give you a free shot of Jameson to shut you up. Who can say no to that?

This place was a great success, but I may avoid it on the weekends so as to avoid the trainwreck that is a hipster bar in Logan Square on Fridays and Saturdays.

Drinks: Cheap
People: 20-30 somethings, moderately hip
Atmosphere: Mellow
Grade: A

www.boilerroomlogansquare.com

Next time: The Bob Inn (I promise this time!)

1 comment:

  1. No way! That music is wretched and the scene too scene-y. Service is surprisingly decent, though. I give it a B-.

    ReplyDelete